31. Power to stop development.- (1) Where any development in any area has been commenced in contravention of the master plan or zonal development plan or without the permission, approval or sanction referred to in section 12 or in contravention of any condition subject to which such permission, approval or sanction has been granted -
(i) in relation to a development area, the Authority or any officer of the Authority empowered by it in this behalf,
(ii) in relation to any other area within the local limits of a local authority, the competent authority thereof, may, in addition to any prosecution that may be instituted under this Act, make an order requiring the development to be discontinued on and from the date of the service of the order, and such order shall be complied with accordingly.
(2) Where such development is not discontinued in pursuance of the order under sub-section (1), the Authority or tl1e officer of the Authority or the competent authority, as the case may be, may require any police officer to remove the person by whom the development has been commenced and all his assistants and workmen from the place of development or to seize any construction material, tool, machinery, scaffolding or other things used in such development within such time as may be specified in the requisition and such police officer shall comply with the requisition accordingly.
(2A) Any of the things caused to be seized by the Authority or the officer of the Authority or the competent authority, as the case may be, under subsection (2) shall, unless the owner thereof turns up to take back such things and pays to the Authority, the officer of the Authority or the competent authority, as the case may be, the charges for the removal or storage of such things, be disposed of by it or him by public auction or in such other manner and within such time as the Authority, the officer of the Authority or the competent authority thinks fit.
(2B) The charges for the removal and storage of the things sold under subsection (2A) shall be paid out of the proceeds of the sale thereof and the balance, if any, shall be paid to the owner of the things sold on a claim being made therefor within a period of one year from the date of sale, and if no such claim is made within the said period, shall be credited to the fund of the Authority or the competent authority, as the case may be.
(3) If any development in an area other than a development area has been commenced in contravention of the master plan or zonal development plan or without the approval or sanction referred to in section12 or in contravention of any condition subject to which such approval or sanction has been granted and the competent authority has failed to make an order under sub-section (1) pr, as the case may be, a requisition under sub-section (2), within the time that may be specified in this behalf by the Lieutenant Governor of the National Capital Territory of Delhi, the Lieutenant Governor may, after observing such procedure as may be prescribed by rules made in this behalf, direct any officer to make the order or requisition, as the case may be, and that officer shall be bound to carry out such direction and the order or requisition made by him in pursuance of the direction shall be complied with accordingly.
(4) After the requisition under sub-section (2) or sub-section (3) has been complied with, the Authority or the competent authority or the officer to whom the direction was issued by the Lieutenant Governor under subsection (3), as the case may be, may depute by a written order a police officer or an officer or employee of the Authority or local authority concerned to watch the place in order to ensure that the development is not continued.
(5) Any person failing to comply with an order under sub-section (1) or, as the case may be, under sub-section (3), shall be punishable with fine which may extend to two hundred rupees for every day during which the non-compliance continues after the service of the order.
(6) No compensation shall be claimable by any person for any damage which he may sustain in consequence of the removal of any development under section 30 or the discontinuance of the development under this section.
(7) Omitted by Act 38 of1984, w.e.f. 24.2.1986
(8) The provisions of this section shall be in addition to and not in derogation of, any other provision relating to stoppage of building operations contained in any other law for the time being in force.